John Partridge was born about 1620, likely in England, to _______ Partridge. He died on 28 May 1706 in Medfield, Massachusetts. He married Magdalene Bullard (daughter of John Bullard and Magdalene George) on 15 Dec 1655 in Medfield. She was born about 18 Oct 1635. She died on 27 Dec 1676 in Medfield.
John Partridge, along with his brother William, and sister Margery traveled from England to Connecticut aboard an unnamed ship in 1650, along with John Beebe, Husbandman, late of Broughton in the County of Northampton. John Beebe wrote his will on board this ship on 18 May 1650, and both William and John witnessed the will. This will is on file at the State House in Vol. II of the State Records. . This will, evidently written while sailing has the signatures of William and John Partridge as witnesses. These signatures purportedly match those found in the record's of Medfield.
John Partridge settled in Medfield, Massachusetts from Dedham in 1653, and was accompanied by his brother William and sister Margery. He was in Dedham, Massachusetts at least a year earlier than that, for on "ye 1 Mo. 1652" he shared with others in the division of 500 acres of land.. John took up a house lot on Bachelor's Roe, later North Street. His place was near his brother William, and Thomas Mason, later husband of Margery Partridge. John signed the proprietors agreement of Medfield . John was chosen clerk of the market in 1672. In 1676, at the burning of Medfield by the Indians, John's house and barn were destroyed, together with a quantity of grain and several head of cattle .
His dwelling, now gone, stood on the crest of a knoll just southerly of the intersection of Hill and Holliston Streets. The present dwelling on the site of the old, was built by "Old Joe" Curtis, Joseph Curtis' son, shortly before he died in 1791.
These are the names by which John Partridge are also found in the records.
- John Partredge
- John Partridg
- John Patridg
- John Patridge
Will was proved 25 Jun 1706. Mention is made of his sons John, Eleazer, Samuel, and Zachariah; daughters mentioned were Rachel, wife of Theophilus Clark; and three of his grandchildren: Eleazer Adams, Abadiah Adams, and Hannah Rockwood.
John Partridge and Magdalene Bullard had the following children:
- John Partridge was born on 21 Sep 1656. He died on 09 Dec 1743 in Medway, Massachusetts. He married (1) Elizabeth Rockwood (daughter of Nicholas Rockwood and Margaret Holbrook) on 24 Dec 1678 in Medfield, Massachusetts. She was born on 03 Apr 1657 in Medfield. She died on 22 Jul 1688 in Medfield. He married (2) Elizabeth Adams (daughter of Jonathan Adams and Elizabeth Holman) in 1688 in Medfield. She was born on 18 Mar 1665/66 in Medfield. She died on 14 Aug 1719 in Medway, Massachusetts. He married (3) Hannah Sheffield (daughter of William Sheffield and Mary) on 17 Apr 1721 in Medway. She was born on 18 Apr 1663 in Sherborn, Massachusetts. She died on 19 Jul 1754.
- Hannah Partridge was born on 15 Apr 1658 in Medfield. She died on 08 Mar 1679/80 in Medfield. She married Joseph Rockett (son of Nicholas Rockwood and Margaret Holbrook) on 02 Apr 1679 in Medfield. He was born in 1659. He died on 21 Jul 1693 in Swansea, Massachusetts.
- Deborah Partridge was born on 16 Aug 1662 in Medfield. She died before 1694. She married John Adams (son of Edward Adams and Lydia Penniman) on 04 Apr 1681 in Medfield. He was born on 18 Feb 1658/59 in Medfield. He died on 01 Mar 1750/51 in Medway.
- Eleazer Partridge was born on 20 Feb 1664/65 in Medfield. He died on 08 Nov 1736 in Bellingham, Massachusetts. He married (1) Elizabeth Smith (daughter of Samuel Smith and Elizabeth Turner) on 25 Apr 1692 in Medfield. She was born on 29 Feb 1671/72 in Medfield. She died on 04 Jul 1704 in Medfield. He married (2) Elizabeth Allen (daughter of William Allen and Elizabeth Twitchell) on 09 Apr 1705 in Medfield. She was born about 1664. She died on 26 Oct 1733.
- Experience Partridge was born on 13 Jun 1667 and she died on 05 Jul 1667, both in Medfield. Twin to Abiel.
- Abiel Partridge was born on 13 Jun 1667 and she died on 02 Jul 1667, both in Medfield. Twin to Experience.
- Rachel Partridge was born on 12 Jul 1669 in Medfield. She died on 01 Dec 1717 in Medway. She married Theophilus Clark (son of Benjamin Clark and Dorcas Morse) about 1691 in Massachusetts. He was born on 25 Sep 1670 in Medfield. He died on 07 Oct 1737.
- Samuel Partridge was born on 22 Feb 1670/71 in Medfield. He died on 12 Dec 1752 in Medway. He married Hannah Mason (daughter of Robert Mason and Abigail Eaton) on 05 Jun 1701 in Medfield. She was born on 13 Sep 1676 in Medfield. She died on 21 Aug 1750 in Medway.
- Zachariah Partridge was born on 02 Jul 1674 in Medfield. He died on 23 Sep 1716. He married Mary Ellis (daughter of John Ellis and Mary Harding) on 05 Jun 1701 in Medfield. She was born on 07 Mar 1685/86 in Medfield. She died on 12 Sep 1747 in Medway.
- Marie Partridge. Unknown birth, but she died on 15 Feb 1676/77 in Medfield, and it is likely she died as an infant.
- Vital records of Medfield, Massachusetts, to the year 1850, p. 226.
- Vital records of Medfield, Massachusetts, to the year 1850, p. 162.
- Vital records of Medfield, Massachusetts, to the year 1850, p. 227.
- A transcription of this will can be found in A digest of the early Connecticut probate records, vol. 1, p. 96
- Dedham Town Rec.'s, vol. iii., p. 211
- Tilden, W. S. (1887). History of the town of Medfield, Massachusetts, 1650-1886 : with genealogies of the families that held real estate or made any considerable stay in the town during the first two centuries, p. 429. Boston: G. H. Ellis.
- Tilden, 1887, p. 95
- Suffolk County Prob. Rec. Vol. xvi pp 158-159.
- Vital records of Medway, Massachusetts, to the year 1850, p. 329.
- Vital records of Medway, Massachusetts, to the year 1850, p. 328.
- Vital records of Medway, Massachusetts, to the year 1850, p. 239.
- Vital records of Medfield, Massachusetts, to the year 1850, p. 78.
- Vital records of Medfield, Massachusetts, to the year 1850, p. 79.
- Vital records of Medfield, Massachusetts, to the year 1850, p. 161.